Located just north of Washington, D.C. in arts-rich Montgomery County, Maryland, Olney Theatre Center offers a diverse array of professional productions year-round that enrich, nurture and challenge a broad range of artists, audiences and students. One of two state theaters of Maryland, Olney Theatre Center is situated on 14 acres in the heart of the beautiful Washington-Baltimore-Frederick “triangle,” within easy access of all three cities.
A professional, award-winning regional theater, Olney Theatre Center operates under an Actors’ Equity Association Council of Stock Theaters (COST) contract, one of only three theaters in the country to operate under such a contract.
In addition to its Subscription Season, which emphasizes 20th-century American classics, new works, area premieres, reinterpretations of classics and musical theater, Olney Theatre Center offers a wide range of programs and affiliations including: National Players, America’s longest running classical touring company; an annual Summer Shakespeare Festival; Post-Show Discussions; and In-School Workshops.
Olney Theatre produces and presents extraordinary theater and performance on its four-theater campus for an ever-more diverse set of audiences in our community, and educates the next generation of theatermakers to follow in our footsteps.
We strive every day to unleash the creative potential of our artists and audiences, and in so doing, become Maryland’s premier center for theater performance and education.
WE DEMAND ARTISTIC RIGOR AND PROFESSIONALISM IN EACH WORK WE PRODUCE AND PRESENT.
- We see artistic value at every step along the continuum from entertainment to education.
- We believe challenging ourselves is essential to provide our artists and audiences with the highest quality experience.
- We believe artistic risk leads to personal growth for our staff, for our artists, and for our patrons.
WE BELIEVE A STRONG INSTITUTION ENABLES ARTISTIC RISK.
- We believe a strong institution requires strategy in planning, and diligence in execution in every department and with every constituency.
- We believe that collaboration is essential at every stage of creating our work.
- We believe that fostering creative thinking among our Board, staff and artists leads to innovation.
- We believe every department of a strong arts institution nurtures and cares for its artists, providing them with an essential foundation for growth.
WE BELIEVE OLNEY’S FUTURE IS MADE STRONGER BY BUILDING CREATIVELY ON ITS PAST.
- We believe our legacy helps guide our choices in every department.
- We believe the essential Olney Theatre Center experience encompasses more than just the work on stage.
- We believe in serving as responsible stewards of the property entrusted to us by our community.
WE BELIEVE ARTS EDUCATION PLAYS AN ESSENTIAL ROLE IN OUR NATION’S CULTURAL HEALTH.
- We believe education and artistry are intertwined.
- We believe in modeling professionalism as we practice it.
- We believe the artistic experience must be contextualized for its audience and its makers.
- We believe participation in the arts – as creators, as viewers, and as students – teaches collaboration, the importance of a nuanced view of the world, and self-reliance.
- We believe the field progresses via mentorship.
WE BELIEVE OLNEY THEATRE CENTER PLAYS A VITAL ROLE IN THE CULTURAL FABRIC OF OUR COMMUNITY.
- We believe our community is made of multiple audiences.
- We believe that every audience in our community deserves quality theater.
- We believe our work must be “accessible” to everyone in our community.
- We believe a diverse range of work on our stages (and staff in our institution) reflects and strengthens the community around us.
- We believe the people in our audience are partners, not just patrons.