Defining the Dream
From the Center for the Study of the American Dream at Xavier University, 200X
- 63 percent of Americans remain confident that they will reach their American dream. 75 percent have attained some measure of it.
- 23 percent believe America is “on the rise,” down from 32 percent in 2010.
- 45 percent believe the American dream is in “poor condition.”
- 28 percent are “extremely confident that they can achieve their American dream.
- 69 percent believe the American dream is harder to reach now than it was for prior generations. 52 percent believe it will be much harder for the next generation.
- 45 percent define “family” as their American dream, making it the most common definition, followed by opportunity, freedom, national security, happiness, having a good job, homeownership, and finally, wealth, at 8 percent.